(1) “Secretariat” means the Secretariat of the Centre.
(2) “Centre” means the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes established pursuant to Article 1 of the Convention.
(3) “Convention” means the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of Other States which entered into force on October 14, 1966.
(4) “Regional Economic Integration Organization” or “REIO” means an organization constituted by States to which they have transferred competence in respect of matters governed by these Rules, including the authority to make decisions binding on them in respect of such matters.
(5) “National of another State” means, unless otherwise agreed:
(a) a natural or juridical person that, on the date of consent to the proceeding, is a national of a State other than the State party to the dispute, or other than any constituent State of the REIO party to the dispute; or
(b) a juridical person that, on the date of consent to the proceeding, is a national of the State party to the dispute or of any constituent State of the REIO party to the dispute, and which the parties have agreed not to treat as a national of that State for the purpose of these Rules.
(6) “Request” means a request for arbitration or conciliation.
(7) “Contracting State” means a State for which the Convention is in force.